The best protection against diseases starts early. Your child can catch bugs that can cause diseases even if you breastfeed. That's why immunizations are a good idea. Immunizations are available from your doctor, clinic, neighborhood health center, and local health department.
IT can be hard to take your child for a shot and listen to her cry. Here are some tips to make things go a bit smoother.
- Try to stay calm.
- Hold your child on your lap and gently tell her that you love her.
- Bring in her favorite comfort item.
- Before the shot, distract her with a book, a song, or feeding.
- Tell her it may only hurt for a little while.
- Plan something fun afterward.
New vaccines may be developed and recommended in the future. An updated immunization schedule can be found on the CDC Web site.